Bhai dooj is a festival of mutual love and affection between brother & sister. It is also known as Yamaa dvitiya. There is one tale related to it :- Once, on the day of kartik shukla dvitiya, Yamraja reached his sister Yamuna’s(the holy river) house. Yamuna did a hearty & warm welcome of her brother. She prepared various delicious dishes for her brother and applied a tilak on his forehead. Yamraja was overwhelmed by his sisters welcome and he gifted many things to his sister. When He was leaving, He requested Yamuna to ask for a wish. Yamuna on seeing him requesting ,said: ‘Brother ! If you really want me to ask for a wish, then bless me with the wish that every year on this day you will come to my house and will accept my welcome. Similarly, every brother who will to his sister’s house on this day and accepts her welcome and gives her gifts and all, he never has to face the fear from you.
Yama accepted Yamuna’s request and from that day on, this festival of Bhai dooj is being celebrated. The main objective behind this festival is, that strong bond of love & affection between brother & sister remains forever.
Rituals of the Day
The sister on this day, while applying tilak to her brother must think with strong determination that ‘May my brother’s wisdom arise’. Pray to God Yamraja for your brother’s longer life and pray to your Guru & God for your brother’s welfare and progress. Then remember eight immortals- Markandey, Bali, Vyasa, Hanumana, Vibhishina, krupacharya, Ashwathama, Parshurama, and sprinkle rice over your brother and with soulful feeling ”May my brother become strong and immortal.” The brother should too sprinkle some rice and pray ‘ May my sister have a strong character, She should be fully secured from all evils, she should spend her life with fearlessness and not under some pressures or fears’.
– Wake up before sunrises, One who keps sleeping after sunrise is responsible for the destruction of his own wealth.
– Everyday offer salutatiom to Sun God. This helps in developing one’s health, mind and radiance.
– Offer food to mother cow. This helps in eliminating domestic evils. So everyday keep aside first byte of food for Cow.
– Offer grains to birds everyday for prosperity in your house.
– Do as much service as one can to the poor along with God’s Naam Japa and listening to the mythological stories.
– Worship the Peeple and Basil tree and light a diya near them.
– Keep aside 1/10th part of your income for charitable deeds. This gives you happiness while in this world and after the world and makes one wealthy too.
– While cooking roti (wheat bread), don’t throw the flour spilled near by. Mix some sugar into it and offer it to the ants. This way, you will make best use of it and would prove to be meritorious.
– The human body has been designed to intake vegetarian food only. When we kill & eat innocent animals ,we eat the fear, pain, sorrow within them which entered into them at the time of killing them, so one must eat vegetarian food only.
– Tea, Coffee is harmful for the health. Instead of that, have cow’s milk .
– All the drugs like Gutka, Tabacco, Liquor etc. are the causes of life taking diseases like cancer. Therefore, stay away from the addictions and motivate others too for this.
Sacred Diwali Message
Lighten up yourself internally alongwith external light!
Its important to clean your internal self besides cleaning up your house. As long as there is the darkness in the disguise of evils and lack of knowledge, the man is considered to be blind inspite of having eyes.
The way you decorate your house with new and attractive things on the day of diwali, buy new clothes and colour your house, same way throw out your weakness, evil thoughts and vices and get virtues like happiness, peace, satisfaction, forgiveness and decorate your inner self.
At some places sweets are being taken during the whole year, not only this, but the eatables etc. get rotten without even using them and at the same time there are places where the children crave for one piece of sweet on diwali day. There can be seen plates full of different dishes in some houses and there are places too where children sleep empty stomach. Somewhere new clothes are being bought and some don’t even have enough clothes to cover their bodies.
So start your Diwali by lightning a diya at some house where there is not a single diya is being lit. Your heart will glitter too and the happiness you will get will definitely be more than celebrating diwali at your own house.
You must follow the tips given to gain wealth but be careful that Goddess laxmi in disguise of wealth will arrive & leave as per your destiny but Goddess laxmi which belongs to Lord Vishnu is the giver of Divine virtues. If one achieves that, then material wealth will hardly matter if it stays or leaves. If you actually want a happy, healthy and contented life, then follow spiritualism. Diwali conveys message that wealth is unstable, people die for wealth but the wealth doesn’t even ask once while it leaves “Shall I go?” Therefore, considering wealth as unpredictable and unreliable, take God’s name, do Japa , listen to Spiritual discourses and decorate your inner self with peace, satisfaction & live at par.
May the inner light glitter and eliminates inner darkness
May the new year is filled with new thoughts!
Have a great Year Ahead!!