What is Shraadh ?
Shraadh means the deed or rituals done with full devotion. Shraadh must be done . Lord SURYA abuses the people who doesnot do Shraadh as foolish and further he goes to dark hell. Lord Surya even says the one who doesnot do shraadh karma the rituals done by him is neither accepted by me nor Lord Narayana or any other God and gets the birth of swine.
Every God and Demigods have their specific days and dates of worship according to tithi, Similarly the Pitrus or ancestors have bright lunar fortnight aas their day , i.e Pitra Amavasya a significant day for Shraadh rituals ,Hence whether knowingly or unknowingly one must do Shraadh rituals.It is believed that Pitru’s leave in South direction.
3 things are of most importance in shraadh:-
While chanting mantra, when you say SWAHA it means you are offering a part of it to God.When you say SWADHA for three timrs it means your offering is for Pitru.Hence one should chant SWADHA three times for pitru and food offered with such significant chanting satisfies pitrus early.
Three things are considered to be pious in shraadh rituals:
Dauhit: Dauhit means the son of one’s daughter.
King yayati due to some of his deeds had gone to hell, his grandson(dauhit) did the shraaadh karma accordingly which relieved the king.
TEEL (sesame): Teel is believed to make our rituals safe from demons when offerd to Pitru.
ku-tap: doing shradh rituals during utap or sunset on Sarvapitri Amavasya day gives eminent rewards and pleases the Pitru.
Three main deeds of Humans are appreciated during Shraadh:-
Holy : Shraadh karma should beperformed pious and holy.
Shraadh karma should be avoided at dirty places.
Shraadh karma should be avoided during menses by lady.
Shraadh karma should be performed away from Alchohol and other such things.
Shraadh karma where to be performed, place must be daubed with cow dung.
Apkrodh: Means avoiding anger. On the Sarvpitri amavasya day our Pitru(ancestors) are around us, when a person gets angry it is disliken by pitru, hence one must avoid anger.
Precocity or Quickly : Shraadh karm should not be done quickly, it should be done with full devotion for pleasing the Pitru.
Three types of Humans are considered Holy or pious during Shraadh.
The one who chants mantra before having food.
The one who chants mantra while serving food.
The one who chants Ved-mantra during rituals
- These basic rituals should be considered while performing Shraadh karma:
- In food: Lentils (masoor), Peas (matar).
- In rituals : lotus, bel leaves, dhatura , milk of sheep or goat and Mahua should be avoided from usage in shraadh rituals.
- What should be used during Shraadh rituals ?
- Grass(kusha), kedney bean(udad), Sakhi rice, Cows milk, ghee and honey.
- Honey is considered to be most beloved for pitru, hence the use of honey must be done while preparing food for rituals.
- Secondly ghee must bealso used for prepaation. For Example : ghee ke laddu.
- What advantages do we get from Shraadh rituals for pitru ?
- Increase in wealth and safeguards it.
- Increase in the subjects or people and are safeguarded.Shraadh karma increases their Life and provides positive energy.
- The beloved materials by Pitru should be donated to Brahman, which results in happiness of pitru and pouring of blessings.
- Humans have four debts in their life: Pitra, Demigod, Rishi and Human debts. One of them is Pitru debts hence, one must perform Shraadh ritual to be relieved from Pitru debts.
CLICK TO KNOW MORE ABOUT RITUALS……